When teams do not have a team member who knows about AT related to the child’s needs, a consultation may be opened with Oklahoma ABLE Tech to assist the team in completing the AT Assessment. Consultation forms may be submitted online, faxed, or mailed. Once received, ABLE Tech staff with AT knowledge related to the needs of your child will contact your team. A consultation form may be opened by clicking here.
Up until now, teams may find that they have much of the information about the child’s abilities, environments, tasks and current tools just by reflecting on their past interactions with the child. Since doing an assessment requires obtaining new information, teams will want to complete observations of the student in the environment(s) where the child needs to complete tasks/activities that may require assistive technology.
Using a form that leads you through an observation can be extremely helpful. Tips for your observation(s) include:
- Asking multiple team members to complete the same observation form in their own environment(s).
- Observing how much/often and in what ways the child is participating.
- Observing how much/often and in what ways the child’s peers are participating.
- Noting whom the child is interacting with: peers vs. adults.
- Noting if there are any noticeable barriers to the child’s participation.
Assign a deadline for observations to be completed and schedule a meeting to compare team notes.