AEM Process Recommendations
This document will cover a wide range of material related to the provision of AEM for students in public schools. For quick reference, this information has been condensed into a workflow list and best practices.
For every student with a disability:
- Consider the need for AEM, and if need exists, determine specialized format(s) required (audio, braille, digital, or large print). Document print disability category (blindness or visual impairment; physical disability; and/or reading disability), and plans for acquiring specialized format(s) needed in IEP or 504 plan.
- Acquire materials in specialized format(s) by contacting the AMP, publisher, or other source directly (see Oklahoma AEM Service Providers under Acquisition, page 8).
- Consider, trial, and acquire AT that may be needed to read specialized format(s). Document decisions related to AT in IEP or 504 plan.
- Train student, teachers, support staff, and parent/guardian in procedures for acquiring and reading AEM, and proper use and maintenance of related AT.
- Monitor student progress, consider if specialized format(s) and AT are adequate, and consider other specialized formats or AT as needed. Document progress and changes needed in IEP.