25 | Common Questions about AT Devices and Services: 10-13

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


  1. Who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of equipment?

SoonerStart is responsible to assist the family in repairing or obtaining a replacement for AT devices used as part of the child’s early intervention services. SoonerStart can provide substitute equipment while the AT is being repaired.

  1. What provisions should be made for the transfer of equipment when a child transitions from early intervention services under Part C to public school services under Part B?

The IFSP team should consider transferring equipment between SoonerStart and the child’s public school district during the transition. Agencies that purchase AT can use Memorandum of Understanding or Interagency Agreements to transfer equipment between agencies. Refer to Appendix C, "Assistive Technology Devices Purchases/Sales Agreement Form and Sample Depreciation Spreadsheet."

  1. What should happen when an AT device is no longer appropriate for a child?

The IFSP team should conduct an AT Assessment to determine why the device is no longer meeting the child’s needs and also determine if the child still requires AT to meet their needs. If the AT device is no longer appropriate for a child, the IFSP team needs to show that the child no longer needs AT to achieve outcomes or to determine if another device will meet the child’s needs. If SoonerStart purchased the AT, the early intervention program can use the old device for another child or a centralized loan program. If the parent or an insurance company purchased the AT that is no longer needed, the family may wish to donate the items to the ABLE Tech Reutilization Program.

  1. What can parents do if their child is denied AT by the IFSP team?

AT devices and services are included as one of the early intervention services available to infants and toddlers with disabilities under Part C and are subject to the procedural safeguards required by the IDEA, including the right to request a due process hearing. As specified in the Policies and Procedures for Special Education in Oklahoma, parents or guardians may request mediation or a hearing to challenge whether the early intervention program is designed to meet the needs of their child. Parents and SoonerStart providers can contact the Special Education Resolution Center. See “AT Resources in Oklahoma” for contact information.